Transportation Systems Management &
Transportation systems management and operations (TSM&O) is a systemic approach to manage congestion and maximize highway operation. Transportation issues, such as worsening urban congestion, decreasing travel time reliability, and increasing population numbers that outpace increase in roadway miles, are no longer solvable with traditional solutions that simply add lane miles. Capacity projects, such as roadway widening, still play a major role in providing mobility; however, TSM&O requires a paradigm shift: provide mobility rather than provide transportation capacity. Intelligent transportation systems (ITS), multi-modal applications, and higher land-use densities all contribute to an operations-driven approach that maximizes use of transportation assets.
Mobility is defined through the eyes of travelers: How much delay is due to congestion? Are travel times predictable? Information must be real-time and systems must be able to detect and respond to situations immediately.
Major TSM&O strategies include:
- Definition of transportation networks to be managed
- Definitions of primary system user groups and associated performance measures
- Development of data collection and analysis systems to support performance measurement
- Development of a business plan to guide TSM&O program activities and resource allocation, including a performance 'dashboard’ for use by management
- Identification of operation and management strategies to achieve network performance targets
These strategies build on agency strengths and resources for the entire project cycle from initial concept to planning, design, construction, operations, and maintenance. TSM&O strategies include signal control, incident management, and work zone traffic control. TSM&O is based on a performance-driven approach to system management definition, measurement, and reporting of performance.
Atkins has supported the FDOT Central Office ITS Program from the initiation of TSM&O as a program. Our work has included systematic actions, such as development of the TSM&O Strategic and Business Plans and other documentation. We support the TSM&O Leadership Team (comprised of executive leadership from FDOT Central Office and Districts) and Task Team (who provide staff-level input) in all aspects of meeting organization including agendas, organization, and completion of meeting deliverables, and minutes. Because performance measurement is a critical component of TSM&O, we helped create a draft dashboard that highlights various metrics collected around the state. To facilitate TSM&O integration into all FDOT policies, processes, and procedures, we developed a tool to rank these items in priority order to amend them to include language about TSM&O. We also helped to create a presentation to FDOT’s Executive Board to report on progress on TSM&O initiatives to date.
Atkins is assisting FDOT with TSM&O by:
- Providing support to TSM&O leadership and task team meetings
- Providing the final TSM&O Strategic Plan (March 6, 2012)
- Updating the Tier 2 Business Plan
- Creating a draft performance dashboard
- Providing presentations for the FDOT Executive Board
Additional information is available on the FDOT TSM&O web site at http://www.dot.state.fl.us/trafficoperations/TSMO/TSMO-home.shtm.
For questions regarding FDOT's ITS Program, please see Contacts.